Thursday, March 5, 2009

2 Months later...

So I got pestered enough to update this, and figured I could leave a little insight into the past few weeks that I've been floating around country.

Lets pick up back in January: Spent most of that time just hanging out in village and the like, had "PDM/IST" training at the end of the month for a week. That was an enjoyable time. Basically the training center in Pagala is like a summer camp. Now take your image of summer camp, with bunk houses and dining halls, and translate it into the middle of Africa with 20-somethings and their African counterparts. We had sessions from 730 in the morning until ~4/5 in the evening. The best part was playing basketball with Togolese high school kids who came by in the afternoon, we played volunteers vs. Togolese and destroyed for the first ~15/30 minutes. Then their superior stamina took over and we started hopping around and not exactly running. But it was still alot of fun while we played. Got to bring in my Indiana bball skills.

Thats about my excitement for January, its only a few weeks back but seems like ages. Thats because it got hot, and heat kind of destroys memory (not scientifically proven, but I'm pretty sure of it). That brings us to wonderful February! The first few weeks were pretty quiet, had a cookout on valentines day and got to make bbq chicken over a grill. That was fun. Then my computer died. Yea, somehow the partition table for the hard drive got erased, so I got to enjoy an old version of Ubuntu for an operating system for a few weeks until now where I'm down in Lome installing a new OS (Ubuntu 8.10, I've officially transitioned to Linux nerd) and also software for development stuff.

Also exciting for this month: started working at Plan International teaching introductory computer classes. Its been alot of fun so far, high school kids are much more difficult to teach than middle schoolers, but thats all part of the fun right? Also working on a formation on using Linux as a viable alternative to Windows as an operating system for computers here. Me and my counterpart, Marius, are almost finished and it should be pretty awesome.

Can't think of too much else, its been up and down here really. All in all though, I'm happy. Through sickness or misfortune, its all good on this side of the pond. Being a wayward IT consultant is pretty nifty, as my brother suggested last night on instant messenger, I should pack up a backpack with my laptop and just go out doing freelance IT work in the world. We'll see how that goes ;)

Enjoy the update, not quite that long but eh, I'm tired. And have other stuff to do! So yea, I'll write something fun and upload it at post when I'm free. Stay classy.

No comments: